Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Mother's Promise


A couple weeks back I wrote an article for my son’s girlfriend, my daughter, and all young ladies growing up and trying to find themselves. Well, this time I am writing for my son. My son and I are at a place in our lives right now where I think it is important that he be reminded of the things I promised him, and of how strong a Mother’s love is and always will be. When I found out I was pregnant, I made promises both to my self and to him, as I’m sure most parents, especially Mothers, do.

I was young when I had my son, but from the moment I learned he was coming I knew that he was going to change my life forever. Along with being young, I was immature. Having a good time was the most important thing in my life. I was in a downward spiral on a path to self destruction. In one moment, all that changed. Now I was going to be a mom. I realized then, that I needed him as much as he was going to need me. I promised my unborn baby that I would grow up and be strong for him. I swore that I would love him with every breath in my body and defend him against this big tough world. I swore that as long as he needed me, I would be his voice, his advocate. I would fight for him always. The love I had for him before he was even born was so strong, it was almost frightening. That love has only grown stronger over the years.

Now he is a young man on the verge of adulthood. He is at a difficult time in his life, and struggling with many obstacles. The road has been long and at times bumpy, and there is still so much more to go, but I am so grateful that I was blessed with the job of being his Mother. I couldn’t imagine a greater honor. I know he thinks he is outgrowing the need for me, and in some aspects he is, but that does nothing to lessen the fierce desire I have to protect him. I am trying to back off, but I think it is important that he know I will always be here. I understand things are changing and there are rough waters ahead. When you want me, I will be here. When you need me, I am still and will always be your advocate. I will defend you against this big tough world, when you are beaten down, and I will help pick you up and walk with you when it is to hard too do it alone. So when you are ready, talk to me. I’m just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment