Friday, March 23, 2012

Back in the day...


Technology today is amazing and the rate at which it advances will make your head spin. At least it does mine. I have always been able to keep up with the latest in technology, but these last couple of years has been a struggle. It seems like everytime I get used to a new device or operating system, a newer, better version is out, and once again, I am behind. I like to think that things are changing too quickly for me to keep up and has nothing to do with the fact that I am getting older and am just having trouble understanding.

I remember my first computer. It was a Texas Instruments. It was nothing more than a keyboard that you hooked up to a TV set. That was so long ago, and technology was going at a  snail’s pace compared to the speed of today. It was a good ten years later, at least, that the personal computer was no longer a luxury item. Then came the Word Wide Web. The “information super highway”. A plethora of information at our finger tips... as long as you didn’t mind the time it took to just get connected. And heaven forbid someone call and boot you off.

Let’s go back even further, my Mom can remember going to her neighbor’s house as a child to watch “The Wizard of Oz” on their brand new, and very expensive color TV set. When my Grandmother was a kid, they still had outhouses and ice boxes instead of refrigerators. I used to get frustrated when my Grandmother would call and ask for help with her computer until one day when I really took the time to think about all of the changes in the world that she has lived through and adapted to. To go from no indoor plumbing to sending emails and browsing the web, all I can say is wow, that is quite impressive. So if she could manage to keep up at a decent pace with technology, I can too. I’m just sayin’.

2 comments:

  1. Another insightful blog, can't wait till next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks... i might be a little behind, but don't give up on me!

    ReplyDelete