Wednesday, May 30, 2012


My family and I went out of town this weekend. My youngest cousin got married and we couldn’t be happier. I come from a small close-knit family, and not having any siblings, my cousins are important to me. I am the oldest and have enjoyed watching the three of them, as well as myself, grow up. Though I wish we all lived closer, I always enjoy the times we get to see one another, and know that there is always a special bond there.

Along with the packing and preparation a mom has to do before any trip, I have also done quite a bit of reflecting. Thinking about how far the four of us have come, and contemplating where our lives will take us. Josh, my cousin, has grown up to be an amazing young man. He is the type of man a mother hopes to see their son become. He deserves to have every dream for the future come true, and I know he will make an amazing husband and father.

With that being said, I would like to offer some advice. Though I am no expert on the subject, I have managed to stay married to my husband for 13 years, and can honestly say that they have been the best, most fulfilling years of my life. So Josh, I hope you take these pearls of wisdom that I offer, and know that they come from the heart, and that I wish the two of you nothing but joy.

Through the years I have learned that happiness is easy to achieve when your life is going smoothly. It’s when times are hard that you will need to remember to love, support  and enjoy each other. Communication. I can’t stress it enough. Learn to listen with your whole being, not just your ears. Not all speaking is done with words. But the most important advice I can give, what I believe is the key to my marital bliss, is affirmation. Be sure to always say thank you and remind each other how much you love one another every day.It’s the little things like that mean a lot. Fights happen and hurtful things get said, but a strong foundation built on love and mutual respect will help you weather any storm. Not matter what, enjoy your family. Love, and let yourself be loved, there is no better feeling in the world. I’m just sayin’.

1 comment: