Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Procrastination

Procrastination. It’s never a good thing. I say this as I sit here at my computer wracking my brain for an article topic. And how, you ask did I find myself in this predicament once again? It is because of my old nemesis procrastination. I tell myself I work best under pressure. That if it weren’t for the last minute, I would never get anything done. But really, it’s an excuse. Just a way of enabling myself instead of trying to fix my dilly-dallying character defect.

Over the years I have grown up, became more organized (barely) and more responsible. This has helped some, but I still find myself wondering how the time slipped by as I try and play catch up with my life. The American poet, Don Marquis said that procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. Truer words have never been spoken. My life is controlled chaos, though I blame only part of that on my procrastination problem. My other big fault is my habit of taking on too much. Spreading myself too thin. I call it my superwoman complex. I am driven by a need to take on more than I should. I have a desire to nurture others, sometimes to the point of not talking care of myself.

I am often told by loved ones that they don’t see how I manage the schedule I do . To be honest, often times I don’t know either. But I just can’t see myself being any other way. I sometimes like the frantic pace. Don’t get me wrong, I want to improve myself. Especially the procrastination habit. I’m sure my husband would like that, as would the very tolerant editors who haven’t complained. Too loudly. Yet. So as I turn this in to you, in the wee hours of Friday morning, I promise to improve on my procrastination. Tomorrow. Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment