Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Village




Feed them, change them, and don’t shake them. That the basic instructions you are given when you have a baby. Sure, they go a little more in depth than that, but nothing will ever prepare you for the reality of parenthood. There is no instruction manual, no money back guaranty. Not even a reset button if you think you might have made a mistake and want to try again. No, we just roll with the punches and hope that they don’t need too much therapy when it’s all said and done.

Now  some may argue with me and point out the abundant amount of parenting books out there. All of which are meant to help us and guide us happily along our parenting journey. But those are not actual instruction manuals. No, these books are just suggestions. There’s not even a troubleshooting guide in the back of any of them. Trust me, I’ve looked. So with no precise, step by step instructions telling parents exactly what to do in any given situation, where does one go to get good, sound advice? Some moms might turn to books, and television shows. Other moms may go on instinct alone. Me? When the going gets rough and I start second guessing myself, I look to my village for advice.

I’m sure you are wondering where I live right about now. My village is not where I live. You see, I very strongly believe in the proverb, “It takes a village to raise a child.” My village is the small group of friends and family whose opinions I trust. Mothers who have successfully raised a child and lived to tell the tale are my village elders. My husband has his own village. His network of friends and family that he talks to. I know that everyone has their own approach to parenting. I’m all for using what works. My village sure works for me, and I’m grateful for all the support I get from them. I don’t know what I would do with them. I’m just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment